Wednesday 25 July 2007

Obsession with Clean Windows

I was sitting in my room on a cloudy and drizzling day, a resident from across my block was cleaning her 12th floor windows. Fully unsecured. She was leaning out an open window from the 12th floor.

I thought this is the obsession that Singaporean has with clean windows inside and out. Almost monthly, I would see news of maids fell from high-rise residential home whilst cleaning the window. What is this obsession that these Singaporean have? I can count how many times I cleaned the outer of my window in the 15 years that I have lived here. To me, there is no point. The rain will clean them. Why put my life in danger by cleaning the window. Living in a HDB flat, no one is going to look at your apartment from outside. You just can't. Clean the room, the corridor, it is fine.

Worse is getting the Indonesian maids who came from ground floor village homes to clean them. No wonder they fell. Stop with the window cleaning call in people who have the equipment and the right cleaning detergent to clean them. Since you have money to pay for the maids, why not pay for a window cleaning service monthly?

Sigh...

No comments: