Thursday 13 March 2008

Discovered Persuasion

I dread reading Jane Austen's stories but ironically I love the drama adaptations of them.

My first love for Jane Austen's stories was for Sense and Sensibility acted by Emma Thompson. The movie was hopeful and pure. I watched the movie on my own because no one in my circle cared for such stories.

When I was in England, I took the time to visit Bath and the fashion
gallery
of the 17th Century. I felt at home. Yes, I am hopelessly
romantic when it comes to courtship. The admiration, the introduction
and the communication of the good society then was very much elegant
and genuine.

Then, I was introduced to Mr Darcy (Colin Firth) much talked about in Bridget Jones Diary. I bought the infamous BBC Pride and Prejudice starring Colin Firth and I understood the buzz about "Mr Darcy", the character and the actor. I watch the DVD almost every night for 2 weeks. Over and over again. Even the movie version by Keira Knightly did not make the cut for me.

Until recently when I found out that BBC or ITV had a Jane Austen's month and telecast adaptations of Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey and Persuasion. I watched the drama online (shamefully) and was blowned away with all 3 dramas, especially Persuasion. The producers did a wonderful job of casting very very good looking lead actors. The screenplay was engaging, the costumes were inviting and magic of Jane Austen once again been relived in this hopefully romantic soul.

Dashing actor in Persuasion, Rupert Penry-Jones. (Ah....) definately will be the next Mr Darcy.


Jane Austen's stories are truly timeless. I wish to have lived during those period.



No comments: