Tuesday 7 August 2007

Origins of Teh-C


I have always thought that Teh-C is a term that originates from one of the Chinese dialect like Hokkien or Cantonese. I have not visually seen the word. It is usually a verbal word rather than written. I assumed that it is spelled as Teh-see.

Recently, I saw a headline on an article titled Kopi-O, Teh-C... Ah ha! Teh-"C" and not Teh-see. So where does the "C" comes from? I asked a Chinese friend of mine if it is Hokkien or Teochew etc. She said, not really.

Teh-C is made of tea with evaporated milk instead of regular sweetened concentrated milk. In Malay language, evaporated milk is called Susu Cair (pronounce Soo Soo Cha-air). So I concluded that the term Teh-C comes from Malaysia. A short for Teh Cair = Teh-C.

Another version of Teh-C defined

No comments: